Saturday, September 13, 2008

Inside the Storm!

I went to bed about 12:30am with Ike's eye straight due east of our house. The wind was starting to pick up and the rain with it. It's now 4:00am, the wind, according to the news reports is gusting 68 mph. The rain is constantly coming down, lightning strikes every few minutes taking down the street lights and the house lights (they're on separate grids). The rain is beating constantly at the northwest side of the house (the back porch and driveway).

Based on the weather channel and the local news website, this is the worst of it for us. The eye is just on the other side of downtown Houston and right now our neighbor hood is experiencing one of the heaviest band of rain the storm has.

However, I have not seen a single loose item blowing around, the trees are still intact, the weather strip under the back door is holding up well and not letting ANY water in. I have power, not a creak or squeak from the house, and the water is still good. I've filled the tubs just in case but it shouldn't be a problem!

I'll send more later when I know more.

4 comments:

heatlight said...

Yikes! I didn't know you were in Houston. I take it you aren't out on the corner with your neighbors lighting fireworks and getting drunk? Some guy on the news said he was going to get on his roof with a six pack and a surf board... just an idea.

SarahPyrah said...

wow, I would have never thought to fill the bathtubs, I will put that in my emergency preparedness folder! hope you make it back ok!

SarahPyrah said...

Mom and I were talking and she suggested you should have some GREAT anxious photos to post for the photo blog!

jim_blattman said...

As long as everything's ok it sounds exciting.
Dad