Sunday, August 10, 2008

Quick How To: Decorating old plastic drawers
So we have been trying to decorate our new house but do it on a shoe string. So we were in the need of some toy storage but our old Walmart plastic drawers were a bit of an "eyesore". So with $6 in fabric and ribbon from Walmart and $3 of Decopoge, I created new coordinating drawers for Morgan and Emily. (still working on Jacob's, looking for some good cowboy prints).
Total project took about 4 hours for a total of 6 drawers.
I started by selecting the color cordinating fabrics. I only had to buy a half yard of 3 different colors. I choose cotton for ease of the decopoge.
I ironed under a 1/2" crease on the top and one end. Then measured the other side to the drawer. I acutally just made a tiny snip where I was gonna cut on the other end and eyeballed the straight cut allowing for 1/2" edge to crease with the iron. For the bottom edge I did the same snip measure and ironed over a straight edge. I then just cut a 1/2" edge from the ironed crease. I choose to do the ironed under hems so that I didn't have pesky threads or chance of tears from the kids later. I brushed on drawer front a healthy amount of Decopoge and layed down my fabric, taking to care to smooth the bubbles and tucking in my creased hems. I used the ribbon and some extra fabric for the top edge of the drawer where the handle pull was situated. Once this was dry, I brushed the top with more Decopoge and let dry. Repeated the top coat 4 times. This gives a nice sturdy protection to the fabric to withstand kids, it almost feels like vinyl when you are done. It also seems to bring out the color of the fabric. On a few drawers I cut out the designs and layed them on top of the first top coat. Then I coated the remaining 3 top coats.

The drawers were about 2-3 years old and with an extra $9 they are good as new and customized to match the kids rooms - PRICELESS.

3 comments:

willblatt said...

Nice! We'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Heather's Pink said...

I love cheap decor. Not that your decor looks cheap, but you know what I mean.

I have a paint tip. I go to Home Depot or Lowes and check out their OOPS! shelf in the paint section. Our Home Depot must have really bad employees because we have a huge selections of fabulous colors, not to mention sheens and sizes. The gallons at $5 and the quarts are $1.

This is a great idea when you just want a wall or two with some color or are painting a small bathroom, etc. It is not good for large spaces as they are mismixed paints and you can not match them.

We painted Henry's room with 3 different color stripes for $11 our room, the 1/2 bath and the kids bath for $5 each.

Add the same stuff on the wall and it is a whole new space.

K

Karyn Banfield said...

SUPER CUTE SARAH!! I LOVE IT! I'm putting a link on my blog for my other creative friends to get ideas from you. Why are all my friends creative? Maybe it's to make up for my total and complete lack of increativity.