Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The meaning of christmas

This year I was really worried.....worried about how I was going to teach my kids about the true meaning of Christmas. I ran a few ideas past my motherly counselors (Heather and Mom) and they found some holes and issues with my ideas, so I was really worried....
I prayed for an experience that would make it known to my kids the joy of giving to others.
That same week I got a email from the Relief Society pres. and she was asking for donations for a single mother with 3 boys 1 yr old to 6 yrs old. They needed anything and everything.
So Emily and Morgan and I set out around the house to find what we could find...

We each went to the pantry and pulled out about 10 cans of food or misc items. I found some new and like new household items and wrapped them. We had 3 pair of good condition pajamas Jakey had out grown and several sets of mittens/hats. We found some games that were hardly used and all the pieces were there. And then we headed to walmart to find some additional items.
When we were done we had a whole box full of food and wrapped gifts. We dropped off the box on the Relief Society Pres door. I noticed that the other members of the ward were quick to act too, there were 3 other boxes there.

Yesterday I got an email from the Relief Society Pres. with an update: She had received so much and organizing it all, in total of 6 large boxes of food, gifts and toys. When they arrived at the home, the tree was bare underneath and quickly they put the wrapped gifts under the tree. The kids were so excited to see all the goodies! And the food was welcomed.

I was so worried, but I didn't need to be, Silly Sarah... Heavenly Father always answers prayers. We just have to be listening, and we will be led.

1 comment:

Heather's Pink said...

That is awesome! The past two years we have "adopted" a child or family from school and have given them the gifts we would have given to each other. We have really enjoyed shopping for them, and then Synnova likes to look around at school and see if she notices the clothes we gave them.