Sunday, July 27, 2008

Surviving Nursery and living to talk about it

Today I was incharge of the Nursery lesson. Which translates to 2 minutes of rhetorical questions and praying for responses, and responses that have something remotely to do with the topic. Followed by lots of coloring.
The topic was on Families Can Be Together Forever. The younger ones were unable to form coherent responses to questions due to the handfuls of cracker fishies in their mouths. The older ones were just trying to out do each other "I have a Daddy!" "I have a Daddy!" "I have a Daddy!" Each statement rising higher in pitch and escalating in volume.Ironically, I had to jump quickly question to question, in an almost spastic manner, in order to maintain control. Kids seem to love the barade of questions.
I find that most of my behavior might be considered unstable in normal adult social circles. I randomly break into song. Sometimes I do hand plays with the songs and make silly sounds to get their attention.Acting crazy is probably the best part of Nursery. Me, not the kids.

The high point of the two hour block was the outstanding crocidile I made from the green playdough. The little boy I was helping out was highly impressed by me. Personal victory.
The low point was Jakey clinging and wailing at me to hold him. He would hand me the snacks to put in the diaper bag and save for later, ***sigh*** my little chipmunk.

4 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

How many kids did you have? I feel your pain. Henry hangs on my legs if he can't go in nursery. What is up with these boys. Can't they cut the apron strings?

SarahPyrah said...

we have about 10 Junior and 10 senior. It is circus cause we have 5 teachers/helpers about 4-5 parents who stay also.
It is like a little sweat box with everyone in there.

jessica said...

You deserve a medal of honor or a gold star or something. Nursery is hard, especially with an ankle weight.

Heather's Pink said...

It is amazing how nurseries around the world are all the same. Ahh, the smell of sweaty kids on a Sunday morning. Ours is the same in every aspect except we have 20 Junior and 10 Senior. I'm with Jessica. You are amazing.