Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Some indication that I don't bake often

I realized that when I stumbled upon this scene that I don't bake enough.I stumbled on this scene last night, and decided that if my kids think that it is so interesting, I may have not baked nearly enough.
I tried a great recipe from my mother in law that is used for various rolls. I forgot that my mother in law is use to cooking for large groups and the recipe was HUGE. I think next time I will have to half it....I used 11 cups of flour!!! I added some caramel sauce to the bottom of the pan and it proceeded to run over the edges and produce some smoke as it burned on my oven burners.
However, it did not detract from the end result and we had pan of huge cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning.

here is the recipe in half for those who would like to have some yummy cinnamon rolls.
2 Cups Warm Water
1 Tbsp Yeast = 1package
1 Tbsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup Oil
1/2 cup sugar
5- 6 cups flour

Mix all ingredients except flour and stir well. I just did this in my kitchen aid.
Add Flour a cup at a time and stir . Keep adding until you need to knead in the rest of the flour. The dough should not be sticky and soft. Put in a greased bowl and let rise till double in size.

From here you can make dinner rolls, buns or various jelly rolls and cinnamon rolls.

I rolled out the dough flat at about 1/2" thick. I put melted butter on the flat dough and topped with sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up and tuck in the edge.
I made caramel sauce with cube of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 4 tbsp of Caro syrup melted in a saucepan. I cooked until bubbly. And poured in the bottom of my cookie sheet.
Cut into rolls and put on top of sauce in cookie sheet. Don't pack them in too tight as they will expand and the sauce will run over the sides and burn in your oven...I should know.
Cook at 375 for about 20 Min (until golden brown).

4 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

Unfortunately we bake too often. Hence the need to run every day. It's a good motivator.

jessica said...

Excess of rolls can be overnighted to San Diego. I will take care of them for you!

MOM B said...

Another solution is to have 8 more children to eat all those rolls.
Dad

MOM B said...

Also, I appreciate the recipes now that I'm cooking more. I may try your empenadas with the 2 guys we are inviting over next week.
Dad