Wednesday, May 7, 2008

jeepers

well, it has been along afternoon and looks like it will play to be a long night. It doesn't look like I will be able to sleep much.


At about 5pm Jakers had a seizure due to a high fever. The fever was due to his new teeth coming in...his new teeth are due to his geneic disposition to the joy of eating.
I was quick on the draw and called 911. Within 2 minutes Emily had raced to our neighbors house and alerted her and within 5 more the paramedics arrived. The seizure lasted about 1.5 minutes, but felt like forever.
Jacob was running a temp of 105 by the end of the seizure and his heart rate was so high they could not get a count. The paramedics were so kind. They guided me and helped me pack a diaper bag and unload the car seat for the ambulance. They said it was better if I followed in my car. One came back in the house to ask for a favorite stuffed animal for Jakers to take with him in the ambulance. As I was walking out the door, two more RS sisters who live close by poked their heads in and asked if they could help.
(And in the meantime, Morgan had a little friend from school over and his mom was at the door to pick him up. I am sure she will never let him come over again...) Emily and Morgan were sufficiently taken care of by my wonderful neighbor.

On the way to the hospital, I called Chris and that was when my stone solid guard let down and I had to cry a little. Chris was a true patriarch of the family and made sure that priesthood was meeting me at the hospital prepared to give Jakers a blessing. And in true organization, the Priesthood notified the Relief Society of the need for comfort.

We got to the hospital and received the proper attention and medication. By 7pm Jacob was hungry and looking to play. By 9pm his was ready to sleep. All vitals were good and they sent us home with the necessary instructions and precautions.

My heart was so full on the way home. Just two weeks ago I had given a lesson in RS about the organization of the ward family and the covenant we make at baptism to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those in the need of comfort. On the way to the hospital I prayed that someone would feel my need and come to be with me. I was scared and nervous as various scenerios began racing through my head.

Within 30 minutes of arrival at the hospital the Elders Quorum president and my home teacher arrived on errand from my wonderful husband. They administered to Jacob who was still groggy. 30 minutes later the 1st and 2nd counselor of the RS arrived. They stayed for a time until it appeared we would go home.

I didn't need much, just moral support.

I just want to let you all know "the Lord’s organization is fully adequate to know and care for those with even the most dire emotional and spiritual needs. " (Bishop Richard Edgley).
I did not realize at the time why this lesson I had to teach 2 Sundays ago touched me so. I could hardly get through it as I was emotional and because of how strongly the message came. But, tonight I realized the Lord has proven me herewith the truthfulness of this principle.

lots of Love
SP

2 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

It is comforting to know you are never alone! We are glad Jake is doing well and pray you don't have to have anything that exciting happen while you are husbandless again. Love You!

willblatt said...

I usually don't comment unless I say something sarcastic and snide. I got nothing...
We're just glad you guys are okay.